Schitzophonic

Thursday, January 06, 2005

Westward, Ho Ho Ho!

Opening Credits: Poison - "Every Rose has its Thorn"
I finally purchased milk which expires in 2005, the dried out Christmas tree has finally met its maker, and I've set up my lawn chair along the parade route for optimal tomato(e) tossing accuracy.

I had fully intended to write a tell-all account of my trip out west to visit the in-laws in Iowa but the moment has kind of passed and the holiday season is long gone. Instead, I will share various fascinations I have with Iowa.

1) In Iowa, the toilet is called "The Stool."
2) Iowa has got THE best junk food. I would like to describe a few items that granted me extreme happiness.
a) Potato Skins - Potato Skins are my favorite trashy bar appetizer. The potato skins I ordered in Iowa were not the typical potato shells. They were the actual skins of the potatoes piled high with the sour cream, cheese, bacon and jalapeƱos piled on top like nachos. So delicious!
b) Loose Meat Sandwich - The loose meat sandwich, dubbed "great taste on the loose," is
similar to the sloppy Joe except there is no sauce - simply delicious chopped hamburger meat
served loose on a bun with lots of spices. The one I ate was strangely sweet; however the
original
is apparently not.
c) Deep Fried Burger - I did not eat one, but rumor has it that there are deep fried burgers in
Iowa.
3) In Iowa high schools/middle schools, girls don't get pinned, they get cattle tagged. That is to say that girls have taken to writing their boyfriends name(s) on cattle tags and wearing them around their necks. This fad was then taken a step forward by decorating the cattle tags with sequins and stickers.
4) Northeast Iowa is often used as a test market by food manufacturers. Last year I was introduced to Hershey "Swoops" (the chocolate pringle shaped candies). This year I tasted Reese's Pieces covered peanuts as well as Hershey's newest candy bar "Take 5"
5) Not specific to Iowa, but staring into a night sky unhindered by light pollution makes me want to support the Georgia textbook sticker initiative.
6) Finally, Gabbin with Gary.

Fade Out: Guns and Roses - "Civil War"