Schitzophonic

Monday, December 20, 2004

Winter Hunter

Opening Credits:
Jesse Sykes and the Sweet Hereafter
"Winter Hunter"

I'm not going to complain about the cold.

It occurred to me this morning that I should complain; however, upon crossing into the warmth of my building's threshold, I realized in that instant, that there could be nothing better than the rush of hot air over my icy flesh.

My body is a winter democracy. No matter how frigid the gusts, my heart pumps fiercely and tirelessly, protesting its unnatural and unwelcoming surroundings. The senses hear both stories: Frigid lies of war, and destruction all around. Firey love and peace and a better future still burning quietly beneath - pulsating in a tell tale fashion.

Winter fashion outshines summer fashion by far and is more flattering to a wider range of body types - rabbit fur lined gloves, cashmere turtleneck sweaters, beautiful retro winter coats, colorful striped scarves.

Coffee seems more justified in the winter, making my morning ritual a necessity and a comfort.

Maybe it's because Thanksgiving, my birthday and Christmas all fall within a month of each other. Maybe my seasonal affective disorder causes me to be more emotional. Maybe it's the concept of transition or starting over in the new year. Maybe it's my superstition that the first snow brings me good luck. I regress. I reflect. I remember.

I can see your breath.

End Theme:
The Shins
"The Past and Pending"