Schitzophonic

Wednesday, December 22, 2004

I found out recently that another student from school who I never knew very well, became quite good friends (separately) with one of my best friends. Since high school I have seen this person about three times (one of them just the other night) and he deemed it necessary to inform my friend that in high school I was a "snobby drama kid." I really don't care what someone thought of me in high school. I struggled through high school to stay afloat, to fend off bullies, to hide my erection behind stacks of calculus books and English readers as I walked from class to class, and most importantly to find a group where I belonged. I tried to explain this to my friend (who I'm sure couldn't believe his ears when I told him that I didn't belong in high school). He said something to the effect that, "well, sometimes the outcasts are nastiest to each other."

Although fairly obvious from such movies as "Welcome to the Dollhouse" and "Disney's The Hunchback of Notre Dame" I needed to hear this again. In looking back at all the groups I dubbed snobby, I can say that they intimidated me and I wanted to be part of their group. I wanted to skate on their ice. It's easy to think that I'm looking down my nose at you if you never come and talk to me about my bad habit of staring down my nose at people. So, in a brief instant, I turned this seemingly insulting statement into the following synopsis: [to keep the person's identity secret, he shall be referred to as XX which is also the chromosomal composition of a little girl. My friend will be referred to as V which is also the coolest letter in the alphabet.]

XX developed an obsession with me early into his freshman year (my junior year). In order to gain my favor, he joined such popular groups as AFS (international club), mock trial, and participated in the musicals where he was offered such roles as chorus boy and chorus boy. As for myself, I had risen to the presidency of AFS, mock trial, and my star was shining brighter than ever in the high school auditorium as I was introduced to Catonsville high society as the lead male in both the fall and spring productions. I tried to say hello to him in the hall, but it proved too difficult to wave while trying to carry four stacked textbooks in front of my crotch as I fantasized about my math teacher. Additionally, the constant barage of paparazzi from the Catonsville Comet Press prevented him from getting anywhere close to me. XX attempted to plot an All About Eve take over, but that would have required him to be in my good graces initially, and that just wasn't the case. Then I graduated leaving a wake of snobbiness for XX to bob around in for years to come.
Resentment built for several years, and then an idea occured to XX. XX began working on befriending a person (V) who would become one of my best friends years before I ever met V. This way, when I became friends with V, XX would be able to confront me on my snobbish behavior in highschool in a passive agressive manner. A devious plan, and it worked to perfection except for one catch: I didn't really care.