Schitzophonic

Sunday, January 16, 2005

Subtle Perfection

The following is a list of songs that offer a short instance of genius that pushes them over the edge for me - feel free to add your own.

Arcade Fire - "Une Annee Sans Lumiere" - @ 1:50 and 2:15 in the song lead singer whoops amidst droning background. The calculated contrast of this sound to everything else that goes on clinches it for me. Notice any similarities between pictures?

The Doves - "Black and White Town" - "...you should follow your way down..." @ 2:25 lead singer provides gorgeous mini-trill causing lump in throat and pants. So beautiful...(pic for John)
The Doves - "Pounding" - The entire song is driven by a "pounding" bass drum leading into a brief U2-like guitare solo. @ 3:58 the music diverts from its original uphill path exploding into what I can only describe as musical flight. It makes me feel for a split second like everything is going to be okay.

Nina Simone - Four Women - The song tells the story of four black women of different but tragic lives ranging from Sephonia, the daughter of a rich white master who raped his slave to Sweet Thing, a prostitute. The song ends with a tale of a woman filled with hatred who thirsts for blood. The music crescendos @ 4:08 to announce the name of the woman in a voice that portrays the murderous rage contained within its mistress "MY NAME IS PEACHES!!!"

Interpol - "Take You on a Cruise" - "...I make money like Fred Astaire..." All I needed to hear to love this song.

...and on the flip side, there's subtle rejection.

Dogs Die in Hot Cars - "Celebrity Sanctum" - Who is Angela Jolie? I'm far from perfect, but something sounds wrong there... I liked the song until I figured out the Angelina Jolie issue and now I can't really listen to it anymore...tant pis cause otherwise it's a fun song...