Schitzophonic

Monday, April 11, 2005

The Harlot

Based on Entertainment Weekly's review of The Starlet, I set my TiVo to red dot it.

The show itself was pretty terrible with three phonies struggling to win Faye Dunaway's affection (Schitzo tid bit: Favorite Faye Dunaway movie = Arizona Dream (after Mommie Dearest of course)). The screen tests seemed pretty horrific to me only to be surpassed by the fact that Vivica A. Fox would sign on for such a show. But here's what interested me:

Between the screen tests, when the "actresses" were supposed to be themselves, they were hamming it up even more. Every second represented a chance for a sound clip with Oscar worthy speeches with each compliment from the judges ("Thank you, Thank you, you have ALL inspired me SO MUCH!") and forced monologues to each other about how much the judges were WOW'ed by their performances, it became apparent to me that the show was much less about good acting and much more about how phony people could be. All three of the girls had faces and personalities that made me want to take a black Sharpie and draw unibrows and horns on their head shots. (maybe a few blacked out teeth too...)

Anyway, the girl who won had a rags to riches "right off the bus" story that I imagine the producers just couldn't decline...now that's compelling TV.