Schitzophonic

Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Déjà Did

Every morning (except when I bring my own) I stop at the cafeteria and buy a medium cup of coffee for $1.42. Because pennies, nickels, and dimes accumulate quite easily, I generally use these coins to make up the $.42 -- usually 12 pennies, 2 nickels and 2 dimes. So just like every other day I went to my change cup and sorted out the correct amount and went down to get a cup of coffee.

At lunch today, the cafeteria lady at the register, B. commented that she thought I had brought my own cup of coffee and I had no idea what she was talking about. I said that I had bought a cup of coffee from her earlier in the day. She replied with something else to which I said, "I have no idea what you are talking about...I don't understand..." and then I paid for my lunch and sat down. About 30 minutes after lunch I decided I wanted something from the vending machine. I fished in my pocket for money and lo and behold! 12 pennies, 2 nickels and 2 dimes. I totally shoplifted my coffee. I rushed down and found B., apologized profusely, and paid the full amount.

What disturbs me so much about this account is that I had a fully developed memory of myself paying for that cup of coffee this morning. It even involved talking with the cashier who I obviously didn't talk to or she would have questioned why I wasn't paying for my coffee...I mean, I'm sure I asked how her weekend was...but maybe that was on Monday...Could this be the opposite of Déjà Vu? Maybe Artiloop will have something to say about forming memories out of nothing at all besides telling me that I'm one of the sleeping dead.