Schitzophonic

Thursday, February 24, 2005

My headphones

Isn't part of music, the fact that it helps you to see things differently sometimes? Don't you sometimes listen to songs differently depending on what's in front of you? Why is Radiohead the perfect accompaniment to a long wait in an airport - much better than the anxious mother telling her young children about all of the plane crashes that have occurred for the last six years? So, if my ear pods are encased in months of wax, there's a reason for it.

Sit Down, Stand Up. Tune In, Tune Out.

Here is how I choose to limit my life and "Tune Out":
I choose not to watch Lost.
I choose not to watch FOX news.
I choose to flip my rear view mirror down to avoid a view of the jerk driving behind me.
I choose to listen to my iPod when I walk because everyone is doing it.
When in public, I don't force my cigar smoke into people's lungs like I force my opinions into people's ears. This is because I don't smoke.

Am I retreating into my head, or trying to cope and make sense of things around me? If you think I am hiding, then you have mistaken my headphones for your ear plugs. I choose my headphones.

Jay McCarroll, winner of Project Runway had a phenomenal line inspired by the concept that the music people choose to listen to helps define who they are which is reflected in how they dress. Each item was accented with a pair of headphones. So, the dresses were to inspire the viewer to deduce the music from the clothes, leaving us connected to the models. Brilliant.

So, to bring this back around, when I see the thin white strands discretely running down a person's cheek, I'll think about the sounds being transmitted into his head. I'll think about how much those sounds mean to him at that very instant - how a little music walking up Connecticut Avenue makes the trip to work not such a struggle. I'll smile and nod with a twinkle knowing that both of us, in our own way, are experiencing life.

I just re-edited this entry cause I thought it was kind of dumb. I still think it is kind of dumb but improved.