Schitzophonic

Friday, October 08, 2004

Together We're Shedding: Polyphonic Spree 10/01/04

Cast of Characters:
Ben, John, Weena, Brian, The Polyphonic Spree

I must begin this posting by stating that I'm intrigued by The Polyphonic Spree but that doesn't necessarily make me a fan. I picked up their album Together We're Heavy the week that it came out in response to their impressive cover of Wig in a Box on the Hedwig tribute album and found myself completely unable to express an opinion on their music. The first track, "Section 11: A Long Day Continues/We Sound Amazed" left me with my jaw dragging along the side of my car, but tracks such as "Section 14: Two Thousand Places" left me squirming in my seat like a 4 year old at Catholic mass. After seeing them live at the Kennedy Center's Millenium Stage the jury is still out -- still out clapping their hands and jumping around!!! The happy lovefest gradually turned to creepy cult worship reminiscent of Waco, resulting in high-fives all around.

My opinion of their music: I definitely feel that their music is interesting, and the instrumentation and implementation of choral textures brilliant; however, the melodies generally tend to fall into a category of songs you can play on your child's toy piano. It doesn't seem to matter when you can layer electronic woodwinds, harps, brass, percussion, and as Ben likes to put it, the Brady Bunch choir loaded with dance moves even Charles Schultz would approve. I had a blast to the point that when The Polyphonic Spree returned for their encore (Light and Day/Reach for the Sun) from the back of the audience, I stuck my hand out in solidarity for that high five from lead singer, Tim DeLaughter. Palm to palm contact between my well caloused hand (for various reasons) and the singer's over lotioned baby flesh, made me feel as lucky as Pippy Longstockings at a pantyhose fetish party.

The concert was nothing less than overwhelming.

Recent navigation to their homepage led me to an incredible cover of David Bowie's "Five Years" from Ziggy Stardust and The Spiders from Mars giving the original glam rock version new a touch of orchestrated chaos. John commented during the show that the Spree must perform interesting covers and their Bowie cover definitely confirms this hypothesis.

Questions:
Do they wear underwear under those robes?
How many pounds of hair does The Spree shed per year?
When will the government surround their compound for the final apocolyptic standoff?